How to Pick a CNA Program near Goodnews Bay Alaska
Now that you have decided to enter the medical field as a certified nursing assistant, it’s time to begin the process of finding CNA training programs near Goodnews Bay AK. Once you have obtained your certification, you will be starting a gratifying career in one of the most rapidly growing occupations in healthcare within the Country. Although it might seem like a daunting task, it’s essential that you choose the ideal school to acquire the proper training and education. A number of prospective students start with the two most fundamental qualifications, which are the location of the school and the cost of tuition. You might also be debating whether to attend CNA classes on campus, or enroll in an online CNA program and attend them at home. More concerning that option later. But doing your due diligence prior to picking a program requires far more than comparing the price or location. Such things as accreditation and the reputation of the school must similarly be taken into consideration. We will be covering those topics as well as several other questions that you should be asking before you enroll in a CNA school. But first, let’s talk a little bit about what a nursing assistant does and the kind of training and credentials that are available.
The Function of a CNA
Certified Nursing Assistants perform many duties in the Goodnews Bay AK hospitals, clinics and other health facilities where they are employed. As indicated by their title, CNAs are not licensed by the state but rather are certified. Because they are not licensed, they function under the direction and oversight of either a licensed LPN or RN. Plus as nursing assistants, their prime job function is to assist the licensed nurses that they work under. Their duties are numerous and varied, and in a hospital environment may include:
- Administering basic care to patients
- Taking patient’s vital signs
- Keeping a record of patient’s health status
- Cleaning and dressing patients
- Serving and helping patients with meals
- Transferring patients to other areas
CNAs may also practice in Goodnews Bay AK nursing homes or long term care centers. In those settings, nursing assistants are more involved in helping patients with their Activities of Daily Living (ADL). ADLs are characterized as routine activities that most individuals carry out daily without help, including eating, dressing, or using the washroom. Nursing assistants usually develop more of a bond with these types of patients since they often remain in the facilities for extensive time frames. Often, they may end up being the conduit between the patient and the rest of the medical staff due to their familiarity with their charges. Consequently, the CNA’s knowledge can be a beneficial resource for preparing the appropriate care and treatment of long term care patients.
In contrast to other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to earn a college degree. CNA education can be acquired at community colleges or at Goodnews Bay AK vocational or trade schools. The duration of the instruction can take anywhere from one to 3 months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to receive at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimum period of training required and that every state has its own requirements. So it’s important to make certain that the training program you enroll in not only complies with the federal requirements, but additionally those for the state where you will be practicing. One suggestion is to contact the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the training course is state approved. As well as the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there can be other prerequisites as well.
CNA Online Schools
Enrolling in CNA schools online is becoming a more preferred way to obtain training and acquire a certificate or diploma in Goodnews Bay AK. Certain schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs require a certain amount of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical approach to finding the time to attend classes for many students. Concerning tuition, many online CNA programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more easily affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Therefore if your job and household commitments have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online CNA program will make it easier to fit earning a certificate into your active schedule.
What to Ask CNA Schools
Once you have selected which nursing program to pursue, and if to attend your classes on campus or on the internet, you can use the following checklist to begin narrowing down your options. As you undoubtedly realize, there are numerous CNA schools and colleges within Alaska and the United States. So it is important to decrease the number of schools to choose from to ensure that you will have a workable list. As we already pointed out, the location of the school and the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the initial two points that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final choice, use the following questions to see how your pick measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping ensure that you receive a quality education and employment in the Goodnews Bay AK area, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not provided for non-accredited schools.
- Certification Preparation. Certification requirements for CNAs are different from state to state. For CNA certification, passing a state specific exam is required. Some states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only provides an exceptional education, but also readies you to meet the minimum certification standards for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Visit internet rating companies to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. In addition, check with the Alaska school certification or licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Goodnews Bay AK healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the CNA colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a superb reputation within the Goodnews Bay AK medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to get experience as a certified nursing assistant is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for certification too. Check if the schools have a working relationship with local Goodnews Bay AK hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Enrolling in CNA Classes Near Goodnews Bay Alaska?
If you have decided to enroll in a CNA Training Program in the Goodnews Bay AK area, the following article may provide some interesting and useful information about the location of your new school campus.
Goodnews Bay, Alaska
Goodnews Bay is located on the north shore of Goodnews Bay at the mouth of the Goodnews River, at 59°7′17″N 161°35′9″W / 59.12139°N 161.58583°W / 59.12139; -161.58583 (59.121408, -161.585835). It is 116 miles (187 km) south of Bethel, 110 miles (180 km) northwest of Dillingham and 400 miles (640 km) west of Anchorage.
Goodnews Bay first reported on the 1880 U.S. Census as the unincorporated Inuit village of "Mumtrahamute" with 162 residents (all Inuit). It reported on the 1890 census as "Mumtrahamiut", again returning with an unchanged 162 residents. It next reported in 1920 as "Mumtrakmut." It next reported in 1940 as "Good News Bay." It returned in 1950 as "Mumtrak." From 1960-70, it also returned as Mumtrak with the alternative name of Goodnews Bay. It formally incorporated in 1970 as Goodnews Bay, and has returned as such since 1980.
As of the census of 2000, there were 230 people, 71 households, and 47 families residing in the city. The population density was 72.6 people per square mile (28.0/km²). There were 87 housing units at an average density of 27.5 per square mile (10.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 5.65% White, 92.61% Native American, and 1.74% from two or more races.
Pick the Right CNA Training Program near Goodnews Bay AK
Choosing the right certified nursing assistant degree program is perhaps the most important phase to beginning a new career in the health care industry. There are many factors that you need to consider when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have emphasized within this content, it is essential that you select a CNA college and a certificate program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the healthcare community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a CNA in Goodnews Bay AK.
More Nursing Locations in Alaska